When driving in low light and during winter, fog lights are the best accompaniment for drivers. They help you see through the road and have better visibility to avoid collisions. Regarding this, drivers are always concerned about installing the best available fog lights for their cars, SUVs and pickups. Also, yellow fog lights yield the best results. But if you live in California, you can be a little weary about yellow fog lights.
So, are yellow fog lights legal in California? Also, should you get yellow fog lights for your car in California?
Yellow fog lights are legal in California. According to California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 24400, vehicles can have additional fog lamps that emit yellow or white light. It means that drivers in California can use yellow fog lights on their vehicles without violating any laws.
We will further discuss the installation rules for fog lights and ways to maintain them. Thus, please stick with us for a complete guideline on yellow fog lights in California.
Why Do You Need Yellow Fog Lights?
If you are a novice driver, you may wonder what to do with yellow fog lights in the car. Yellow fog lights have improved visibility, reduced glare and enhanced depth perception. Also, you will enjoy its better distinctiveness from traditional headlights. Some may even ask, “Are fog lights legal in California?”
Yellow fog lights are designed to cut through fog, rain, and snow better than other colours. Thus, they can help you see the road more clearly in adverse weather conditions, reducing the risk of accidents. It yields 10% to 15% more road visibility than other fog-light colours.
As a result, you can see further with the yellow fog lights and drive safely. It also improves your driving performance as you remain sure about your safety.
Yellow light scatters less than white light. It means that yellow fog lights cause less glare for oncoming drivers. As a result, it will prevent blinding other drivers and maintain safe visibility for everyone on the road.
Moreover, with less glare, your eyes will not feel any burden or pressure to see through the extended glares. It will improve your driving smoothness, too, with enhanced focus.
Enhanced depth perception:
Yellow fog lights can improve your depth perception in low-visibility situations. The colour contrast between the yellow light and surrounding objects makes judging distances and potential hazards easier.
Henceforth, you can easily differentiate between different objects on the roads. Also, you can precisely judge the exact distance between you and the objects. It ensures a safer, smoother and better driving experience, especially during rain and dense fog.
Distinction from headlights:
Yellow fog lights have a different colour temperature than headlights. Therefore, yellow fog lights stand out. Moreover, they are easy to differentiate from regular forward-facing lights.
It can make your vehicle visible to other drivers, improving overall safety. As drivers from opposite ends can see your yellow fog lights from more distance, it helps you and them to be aware of each other. So you can avoid accidents and collisions. In California Street, it is crucial since there’s always a rush of increasing traffic and vehicles.
Some drivers prefer the look of yellow fog lights. They can add a unique touch to your vehicle’s appearance and give it a distinctive style. So, you can choose the yellow fog lights for your car for improved visibility and an eye-pleasing look.
Indeed, the yellow fog lights will give your car and SUV a distinctive sporty look. You may choose a mid-range yellow fog light kit to truly upgrade your vehicle’s safety features and appearance. And once you hit the roads with the newly installed yellow fog lights, you will surely love it.
Are Yellow Fog Lights Legal in California?
According to CVC Section 24400, fog lamps emitting yellow or white light are allowed in California. The law states that vehicles can have up to two fog lamps mounted at the front, which can be used with the headlights.
These fog lamps should be mounted below the headlights at 22 and 54 inches above the road surface. It’s important to ensure that your fog lights comply with these regulations to avoid legal issues.
As you see, yellow fog lights are allowed on Californian streets. However, correctly installing fog lights is crucial so you don’t violate legal rules. It includes proper installation law, the height of the fog lights, etc.
You see, Californian traffic laws allow yellow fog lights. But are blue fog lights legal in California? The next discussion will answer it.
Fog Light Law for California:
The CVC Section 24400 talks about fog lights, headlights and their installations in California. The law regarding fog lights in California includes the following points:
- The number of fog lights: You can mount up to two fog lamps on the front of the vehicle. You can’t mount more than two.
- Colour of fog lights: Fog lamps in California must be yellow or white. Any other colour is strictly prohibited.
- Mounting position: Fog lights must be mounted below the headlights. The law specifies that the height of the fog lights should be between 22 and 54 inches above the road surface.
- Proper use: You should use the fog lights only in specific circumstances, such as during fog, rain, snow, or when visibility is significantly reduced. It is important to use them responsibly and avoid using them in clear weather conditions.
- Independent control: Connect the fog lights in a way so that you can turn them on and off independently from the headlights. You should be able to operate the fog lights separately from the regular forward-facing lights.
- Prohibited colours: While yellow and white fog lights are allowed, other colours are prohibited by law. Using fog lights that emit colours other than yellow or white can result in legal consequences.
It is essential to adhere to these regulations to ensure compliance with California’s fog light laws. It is also crucial to promote road safety for yourself and others.
Installation Law for Fog Lights in California:
When you decide to install the fog lights, be careful. You must follow the proper installation points for it. It follows as follows:
Fog lights must be mounted below the headlights, 22 and 54 inches above the road surface. Ensure they are aimed correctly and do not cause excessive glare for other drivers. Fog lights should only be used in adverse weather conditions, such as fog, rain, or snow, or when visibility is significantly reduced.
Fog lights should turn on and off independently from the headlights. This ensures that they are used appropriately in the right situations.
You should keep your fog lights clean and in good working condition. Check them periodically for any damage or malfunctions, and replace bulbs as needed. Lastly, use fog lights responsibly, keeping in mind the safety of yourself and other drivers on the road.
How to Maintain Fog Lights?
As you install and use the yellow fog lights, it’s essential to maintain them to ensure optimal performance. You can follow our suggested tips to clean and maintain your vehicle’s fog lights for better performance.
- You should clean the fog lights regularly to remove dirt, grime, and debris.
- Check the bulbs occasionally and replace them if they are burnt out.
- Before long rides, inspect the wiring and connections for any signs of damage or corrosion.
- Adjust the aim of the fog lights, if necessary, to ensure proper alignment.
- Protect the fog lights from physical damage by avoiding impacts or collisions.
- You may use protective film or covers to shield the fog lights from scratches and cracks.
So, are yellow lights legal in California? Yes, you can use yellow and white fog lights in California without legal obligations. Also, as we have stated above, you need to follow the proper installation guidelines for the yellow fog lights.
The key is to find their proper height for installation and connect them separately from the headlights. Also, you must ensure that you don’t use the fog lights when unnecessary as it can distract other drivers, and it’s the last thing you want as a responsible driver and Californian citizen.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- I live in California. Can I use yellow fog lights?
Folks in California are allowed to use yellow fog lights, but they have to follow certain rules and limits.
- What happens if you use yellow fog lights without permission in California?
If you break the law in California and use yellow fog lights, you could be fined up to $250.
- What do I need to get in order to use yellow fog lights in California?
Yes, you need a certificate from the maker of the yellow fog lights that says they meet California’s rules and requirements.